My photo
This is a blog about our life. I started the blog because we lived overseas for my husbands job. That meant it was hard to keep family, back in The States, in the loop about what we were up to. It also became a great way to share my sons birth story with everyone who we wish could have been there. I slowly got busy with life & stopped blogging. Here we are in 2014, living back in the good ol' USA & as we make life changes I find this to be a great way to share my thoughts and save them for my son to look back on someday.

Friday, July 29, 2011

Birth Story

At about 3:30am Thursday July 28th I woke up to go pee just like any other night. This time was different though. As soon as I woke up I felt a "pop". While walking to the restroom my water just started gushing out. I couldn'tstop it so I knew my water had broke and I wasn't just peeing on myself. So while on the toilet I called for The Mr. Oddly he woke up right away. Usually a takes a few tries but not this time. I told him that My water broke. He said I was just peeing on myself. Ha, I walked back into our room and just keep leaking, there was no stopping it. So I told him we were headed to the hospital. I felt gross though from all that running down my legs so I asked if he thought I had time to shower. Not sure why I asked him. Anyways, I decided to go ahead and shower since I wasn't having any contractions. While I showered he got me a duffel bag to pack. I guess he realized it really was my water breaking and we weren't coming home right away. Once I showered I packed my bag. This was a comical and gross experience because Im a lucky one that the fluid just kept coming. So I stood on a doggie piddle pad while I packed. If people could see it they would have laughed and been grossed out at the same time. I know I was. Once I was packed we headed to the hospital. We arrived to L&D around 4:45am.
The midwife hooked me up to monitor Changos rate and then she examed me to make sure it really was my water that had broke. Sure enough, no doubt about it, he was ready to make his entrance, 4 weeks early!
So on a side note, I was totally grossed out feeling like I peed all over myself. But once the midwife examed me she put together this pad, extra large panty combo that was super padded but I didnt have to feel the amniotic fluid leaking anymore. Woohoo! Who knew I would be so happy to be wearing that huge pad.
So the Dr that was on call came in and did and ultrasound to see if Chango was still breech. He was. Since I wasn't having very many contractions and they didnt really hurt yet they said we would wait until 8 or 9am so they didnt have to wake up the Dr.
Around 5:30 maybe 5:45 they put me into my room and said now we just wait. Well it felt like waiting forever. Aroud 6:15 my real contractions started. They were coming quick and super strong. The midwife came sometime after 7 and I told her how bad my contractions were and she did an exam and I had dialated to 2-3. She said she was going to call and see if we were going in at 8 or 9. She came back in and said it was time to go. They would do the c-section at 8am. So we headed back to L&D to prep me for surgery. That was an adventure.
The midwife couldn't get my vein to put in the IV. She tried 3 places, multiple times. Finally she called in someone else. She too had a hard time but got it on the 2nd try. The entire time they were poking me, I was having contractions. They hurt pretty bad. I have no idea how people  go through those without pain meds. I mean I guess I survived but Im sure they would have got worse if I was actually giving birth.
Once all prepped we headed down to the OR. The Germans, well at least this hospital, have a pretty cool set up for the OR. I was wheeled in and there was an entire team of people waiting. They all introduced themselves but I could have cared less. I just wanted drugs for the contractions.  Finally, right before I got the spinal they gave me a shot to stop the contractions. The last two contractions were beyond horrible. Once again, I cant imagine giving birth without serious pain meds LOL.
So once I was all strapped in, they brought the Mr in. And within minutes they were holding Chango up over the curtain for us to see, it was 8:31am. He was pissed, crying already. They took him away right away. Being 4 weeks early he had to be checked out. He had his own room next to me OR full of machines etc. Luckily, he didnt need the machines. Everything checked out great. Great lungs, great heart! He settled down as soon as they handed him to The Mr.  He held him for awhile then they let me touch him.
After a few minutes Chango and The Mr left to head up to L&D while I was sewn up.
So at 8:31am on July 28, 2011 Chango was born weighing 7.6lbs and 21.6in long.

Fresh out of the belly!!


  1. Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you! He was bigger than Sam, and he was only a week early! So glad to hear mommy, daddy, and especially baby are all doing well!

  2. Did you really name him Chango or something else?

  3. Hey! It's Missie! Bianca told me you had your little man! Congratulations! I can't wait to see pics, I bet he is a cutie! I hope you guys are doing well! What is his name?

  4. LOL no he has a name. I wont use it on here though just like I dont use our names :) I will post it whem I reactivate my FB here soon.
    Thank you bunches ladies!!

  5. Lovin these photos! He is soooo adorable! :) I loved reading your birth story too, I'm super nervous about having kids so I like hearing stories from mommies. :) So the C-section wasn't bad? Did they use the stitches that dissolve? How was your pain the next few days after?