My photo
This is a blog about our life. I started the blog because we lived overseas for my husbands job. That meant it was hard to keep family, back in The States, in the loop about what we were up to. It also became a great way to share my sons birth story with everyone who we wish could have been there. I slowly got busy with life & stopped blogging. Here we are in 2014, living back in the good ol' USA & as we make life changes I find this to be a great way to share my thoughts and save them for my son to look back on someday.

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas 2010

Merry Christmas World!
It is hard to believe that Christmas is already here. Once again we are having a white Christmas. The snow is pretty deep outside still. The roads are still icy and not very safe. I am writing this while I take a break from cooking. The Mr is in the other room playing with his new toy so I probably won't see him until the food is ready. Already made his potato salad, but still need to make his rice. Yes, potato salad and rice. It is his favorite combo and we have it with all major meals. Good thing we both like it and can eat it for a couple days as left overs. He even lets me know when he is out of rice so I can make another batch. I think this will be one of the traditions that we carry on for many years.
Speaking of traditions, we really don't have a lot. We try to buy a new ornament for each of us every year. This year we bought a beautiful Mickey ornament from Disneyland Paris. What an important day that was for us. Not only did we get to travel to Paris and The Mr had his first Disney experience but it marked him coming home from his first deployment. Our other new ornament this year is a hand painted Texas shaped ornament. It sits proudly near the very top of the tree. Whenever I see it I think of family back in Texas and wish we could be there celebrating with them. Maybe one day they will all get to see the ornament because our tree will be up in Texas, I can wish can't I? Another tradition we have is opening one small gift on Christmas Eve and the rest on Christmas morning. This year we didn't do the small one on Christmas Eve but hopefully we will keep that tradition.
This brings me to my next ramble. Are we the only ones left that open presents Christmas morning? It seems like everyone was opening gifts all week long or on Christmas Eve. I love opening gifts Christmas morning. DUH, Santa comes the night before so how can you open gifts before then. HAHA, I know its not that serious but I just hope we can keep our traditions year in and year out. I look forward to many many years of traditions.
We haven't really started a tradition in regards to Christmas meals. I think though that I want to start doing a Christmas breakfast and big Christmas dinner. Neither of us eat ham so it will always be turkey but tradition none the less. I had planned on making tamales this Christmas but I dont have masa. So I won't be making them until this week sometime, no big deal because I didn't make them until New Years last year. A friend is sending me a recipe for bunuelos, so I think I will be making those for New Years as well.
The hardest part of the holidays this year is being so far from family. We were away last year too but had just been home for Thanksgiving so I think it was a little easier. The Mr hasn't been home in over a year now. It would just be nice to hang out, laugh and enjoy some amazing food with everyone. Hopefully next year we can back to the States and spend Christmas with everyone. Until then, we are there in spirit!
Well, I better get back to cooking. Luckily I am not making everything this year as we decided to just go with the basics but it still takes time. 
Merry Christmas All!!

No comments:

Post a Comment