My photo
This is a blog about our life. I started the blog because we lived overseas for my husbands job. That meant it was hard to keep family, back in The States, in the loop about what we were up to. It also became a great way to share my sons birth story with everyone who we wish could have been there. I slowly got busy with life & stopped blogging. Here we are in 2014, living back in the good ol' USA & as we make life changes I find this to be a great way to share my thoughts and save them for my son to look back on someday.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Change of Plans

Just got home from the hospital.
Here is the little story about what happened. I will try to leave out the gross details LOL, but you have been warned. I want this all documented because someday I want it all printed out, like a journal.
Sunday evening, May 22nd, I went to the hospital because I thought I lost my mucous plug. Went straight to labor and delivery. They hooked me up to monitor the babies heart beat and see if I was having contractions. No contractions and the baby was fine. Next went to have an exam to see if I was leaking amniotic fluid. No leak which was great news. Next was an exam to make sure my cervix hadn't opened up. Again, good news, it was fine. Next an ultrasound to measure the amniotic fluid around the baby. Not so good news, my amniotic fluid was low and this would be the reason I was admitted to the hospital. The Dr that was seeing me, whom was not my primary Dr, explained he was going to admit me from two days and administer steroid shots for the babies lungs just in case I went into preterm labor. I will be 27 weeks tomorrow so this is pretty early still. So I was admitted.  They gave me a shot for the steroids and drew blood etc etc. It was already evening, so The Mr just came home and got me some items and I was settled in for the night. Monday morning My actual Dr came in along with the Dr that admitted me and an entourage of nurses. My doctor was ready to discharge me and send me home, HOWEVER, because of those steroid shots I had to stay another night. The dosage of the shots was two shots, space out 24hrs. So I had to stay put. Needless to say this made for a very boring Monday in the hospital. They did monitor Chango's heartbeat again and checked me for contractions, all was well. Then another Dr did another ultrasound to measure the amniotic fluid, he said it was fine. I wasn't loosing any which was good news. Monday evening they came and gave me the second steroid shot. So now today Tuesday morning. They came in early this am and had me go get monitored again for contractions and the babies heart beat. Once again, all looked well. I think Chango was asleep, he didn't start moving around until he hear The Mr's voice. I guess he decided to wake up since his dad showed up. Already daddies boy. Went and saw my Dr for one last exam and to make sure I wasn't leaking amniotic fluid. No leak, good news again. He went ahead and discharged me but said I had to be on bed rest for a week. I have a follow up in one week. He said he is not worried about preterm labor and I should go full term. I was very happy to hear that.
So now I am home, on bed rest. Good times!
So a little about the German hospital stay. I was very impressed with the amount of English everyone spoke. made for a stress free visit. Doctors, nurses, aids, even the nutrition lady that took my meal order spoke great English. I applaud them. I had a room that can hold up to three patients. Luckily I was alone the entire time so I didn't have to share. It did get a little stuffy in there yesterday since there is no AC. I started getting uncomfortable. We opened up the window to let the breeze come through but the sun coming through the window was hot. So meals, it seems that is what I hear about the most here. I didn't think it was as bad as everyone says. I mean it wasn't American hospital food that is for sure, but It kept me full and got the job done. Here are my meals:
Mmm Apple Juice. German juice is always so yummy. I didn't eat that white stuff. It was gross...plain yogurt maybe? Im not sure. The Mr drank the coffee because I dont drink coffee. 
In Germany, lunch is the big meal of the day. The salad was good. I really liked the soup. Don't ask me what it was because I have no idea LOL. I just dipped the pasta in the dog food looking stuff and it was alright. The little dessert was okay, not nice and sugary like American desserts haha. But it filled me up. 
Yup, this is big ol' dinner. There was some hot tea. The Mr ate my banana. The diet yogurt was pretty tasty. I made a sandwich with the meat, bread and lettuce. Used the butter like mayo LOL. And of course more yummy apple juice.
I thought I was going to be starving after such a small dinner but surprisingly I was okay. Oh yeah, The Mr, had brought up food for lunch in case they gave me something totally weird. But I did okay with the hospital food. Doubt I could have done it much longer but for one day it was alright.

So I was supposed to leave to Idaho Monday morning. Obviously that didn't happen. The airline did refund my ticket 100% with a Dr's note stating that is why I missed my flight. They weren't going to refund it even though we purchased it refundable. Thank goodness for a good travel agent who take care of it for us. So no Idaho trip for me. I just might still make the Texas part of the trip. My Dr said he will decided at my follow up next week if I can fly or not. If he allows me then I may fly out next weekend but only straight to Texas, we'll see. We are dealing with The Mr's plane ticket now. We didn't buy it we might be at a loss there if he doesn't leave as planned since I am on bed rest. Guess for now we just wait and see.
So while I am bummed I am going to miss my niece and nephews graduations I am glad that everything is okay with Chango. Hopefully we can still make it to Texas.

ETA: I am going to leave the spelling errors and typos. I like it better that way for when I print this all out in journal format someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment